“Great tour of Soho’s rock n’ roll history. Learnt so much … and had so much fun! Really worth it and extremely enjoyable.”
“Definitely recommend this tour!”
“Really fun tour. I’ve lived in London for years so it was great to learn more about the secrets of lost gig venues and fascinating stuff that occurred in places I thought I knew.”
“Very nice walking tour! Don was great. Interesting stops a-plenty that gave us a good view of 60s and 70s rock history and cultural history in London. Don was very friendly. I definitely recommend the tour.”
To come on one of my regular ‘rock and roll Soho’ walks click here for dates and more information.
Latest public ‘rock and roll Soho’ walks can be found here.
To find out about others, join my email list
In the 1960s and ’70s, London was the world capital of popular music. This two hour walk will show you where the Beatles held their final live gig (as well as the venue of their first ever London performance), the pub where the Rolling Stones were formed in 1962, and where Bowie was photographed for the cover of the Ziggy Stardust album.
Going from Regent Street to Regent Studios, we’ll visit the bars, clubs and studios where musical history was made, the venues that hosted the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, the Pistols, the Clash and others, meet the characters who transformed teenage rebellion into big business, and hear stories of sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll.
As well as the venues above, other highlights include
- we’ll see the studios where the Beatles, Stones, T Rex, Lou Reed, Elton John, Queen and others cut their most famous discs
- where Eric Clapton bought his first guitar
- the site of the Sex Pistols’ first gig
- NME’s old offices, from where punk and new wave were chronicled
- the club where Paul met Linda – and where Long John Baldry persuaded Elton John not to get married
- hear about the coffee bar culture of the 50s and 60s – and grab an espresso in the last survival.
- the Marquee – where every band who was anyone (and lots who never made it) shook the walls
You can book this walk for a private tour, or as part of a half- or full-day’s tour. Contact me for more information.
Check out the latest walks to see if this is scheduled for a forthcoming Sunday walk, or put in your email below to receive information on walks as they are planned: